Wondering why a healthy lifestyle is so important?? Well, the most common diseases or conditions including Diabetes Type 2, and cancer have one common factor?? Curious?? It is the lifestyle!! It is the fast-paced life that we are adhering to that is creating all this mishap in all our lives leading to serious conditions along with poor food choices.
As lifestyle coaches, we just don’t want to focus on the symptoms when it comes to healing but rather get to the root cause of what is triggering a particular issue causing symptoms and ill health, what is usually found is that it’s the unhealthy lifestyle that comes into play.
Healthcare is the need for the hour!! Nutrition and lifestyle are core to health! I think the most important thing as a health care practitioner is to care, this helps the body to heal and live fully.
Role of Healthy Lifestyle Coach
As a healthy lifestyle coach, the most important task is to bridge the gap between doctors/nutritionists and the patient. Here we looking at empathy, that is to understand a patient’s resistance to change and grow and patiently roll with resistance and help overcome challenges and reach remission.
Ideally what a session looks like between a healthy lifestyle coach and the patient starts with effective listening, showing empathy, and coming up with creative and fun ideas to help the patient heal. As functional medicine coaches we look at:
- Taking a comprehensive health history that encompasses taking details of the present condition as an adult, going all the way to adolescence, childhood, in the mother’s womb along with the medical history of the family.
- Rapport-building along with effective listening to help build the trust of the patient
- Looking at the functional lab testing, note that these are not determinants but clues for us. For eg when we look at high cholesterol levels we not just looking at fatty food consumption but we also need to look at liver health which is an important marker for healthy cholesterol levels.
- Look into all the challenges that a patient may counter to adopt a healthy lifestyle and share ideas and tips to help overcome the same
- Also, take into account exercise, social connection, career, friendships, sleep, relationships, creativity, joy, and spirituality, Fulfillment in all these areas helps to heal the body
- Practice some mind-body connections such as meditation, deep breathing, visualizations, and more
- Help make healthy food choices along with lifestyle tools that help to bring about change and achieve health
- Share resources such as recipes, articles, and more
Remember food is information to the body. It determines the quality of your cells, blood, tissues, and organs, and a healthy lifestyle is a medicine. A healthy lifestyle coach helps you build the gap between a health care practitioner and you, move from deficiency to sufficiency and play detective and help reach the root cause along with help in relieving symptoms and achieving health.